Military Bases and Family Support Groups in our San Diego Storage Area
Maybe you haven’t yet heard the news that San Diego was just recently designated as a Coast Guard City, but you don’t need to be told that San Diego is a huge military town, especially for the Navy. Here’s a quick list of military installations in our San Diego storage area:
- NB Coronado—This consolidated naval installation stretches from San Clemente Island to Camp Morena and employs approximately 35,000 military and civilian personnel.
- NB San Diego—Also known as 32nd Street Naval Station, this is the homeport of the Pacific Fleet, consisting of about 60 ships, 13 piers, countless commands, and about 25,000 people living on-base.
- MCAS Miramar—Home to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, the Marine Corps Air Station is best known to the rest of the country as the former location of the country’s TOPGUN training program. To local military families, it’s better known for the amazing community of people and support services.
- Camp Pendleton—The Marine Corps premier expeditionary training facility hosts more than 125,000 acres of mostly undeveloped land just outside of Oceanside, CA. Home to tens of thousands of military families and around 70,000 military and civilian personnel.
- NB Point Loma—This is a tech hub for submarine, naval warfare, and fleet combat. Seven different facilities comprise this consolidated naval base.
- MCRD San Diego—The Marine Corps Recruiting Depot is responsible for the initial training of more than 20,000 enlisted recruits each year. It’s also the location of the U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructor’s and Recruiter’s Schools.
- CGAS San Diego—Also known as Sector San Diego, don’t overlook this U.S. Coast Guard installation that works with the U.S. Navy, Homeland Security, and the Port of San Diego.
Closetbox and Non-Temporary Storage Solutions
We’re a popular provider for military families going through a deployment overseas. Looking for a non-temporary storage solution as part of your personally procured move (PPM)? You’re going to want to check out our hassle-free, competitively-priced storage in San Diego. It starts with pickup and includes digital inventory, secure facilities, and on-demand returns. Wondering how Closetbox works with your non-temporary storage entitlement? Check out this resource.
San Diego Military Family Resources
Of course, Closetbox and permanent storage is only one small part of the process that is going through a military deployment or permanent change of station (PCS). Looking for help in other areas? Here’s a roundup of military family support groups in the San Diego area:
- Focus Centers (resiliency training for military families)
- Homefront San Diego (non-profit that offers emergency food and supplies, vehicle and home repairs, special projects)
- Armed Services YMCA San Diego (family and youth enrichment programs)
- SAY San Diego (list of youth-based support programs for SD military families, especially the San Diego Military Family Collaborative)
- San Diego Military Outreach Ministries (nondenominational faith-based mission providing food, small goods, children’s supplies, and event planning)