How to properly store your summer clothes

Fun fact: 7 percent  of the American population prefers winter weather (please teach the other 93 percent your secrets).

Regardless of your favorite season, it is inevitable that fall is right around the corner, with winter – and a change in wardrobe – close behind.

According to statistics, 80 percent of the time we only wear 20 percent of the clothes we own. Thus, chances are good that you have a lot of items hanging in your closet that you don’t wear, and certainly even more  you won’t need for the fall and winter.

In order to cut back on the wasted space, and to make the seasonal transition less painful for us 93 percenters, let’s chat about how to properly store your summer clothes and get ready for winter.

We’ve connected with expert organizer and interior designer, Paloma Baillie of Balance by Paloma and 5miles to get  insider tips.

Storage Tip #1: Purge That Closet

Baillie told us that one of her favorite things to do when moving from season to season is “take a little time to do an inventory of your clothes. Discard or sell things you haven’t worn or used in the last six months.”

You may surprised at what you come out with. You’ll likely be saying, “I forgot I had that.”

And you know what may feel even better than purging that closet?  Making some extra cash off of what you’re getting rid of.

“You can also make money selling unused items on online marketplaces like 5miles,” said Baillie.

How’s that for a little incentive to get your clothes organized?

Storage Tip #2: Scrub Them Clean

You do not want to open up your boxes of summer clothes next year with a waft of dirty-clothes smell. You also don’t want to run the risk of ruining your clothes.

Did you know that dirty clothes can actually deteriorate if left dirty for too long? Yuck.

No one wants that, so make sure to get all of your clothes clean.

We really mean all of them — even if you don’t think they’re dirty.

Bonus tip: Put some drops of your favorite essential oil in with your clothes to keep them smelling fresh.

Storage Tip #3: Properly Pack

Now that you’ve determined what clan clothes you want to keep, it’s time to get them stored away.

While there are some inexpensive and more space-friendly ways to store your clothes (ahem, cardboard boxes you got for free from your favorite produce guy at the local grocery store), cardboard is not the way to go.

Cardboard boxes are made from wood pulp filled with acids that can stain your clothes. The glue used on these grocery store cardboard boxes also attracts insects.

If you can’t seem to get your mind off of using cardboard boxes, then opt for acid-free ones.

The ideal way to store your summer clothes, however, is in a clear plastic bin.

Clear is key because it allows you to, according to Baillie, “save space and still see all of the options.” 

Try and group similar clothes together and label them so they’re easy to find once summer eventually decides to return.

Storage Tip #4: Call Closetbox

Contact Closetbox.

Not only will Closetbox store your summer clothes in a storage facility that is safe and secure, Closetbox will come to your house, pick up all your boxes, and transport them to the storage facility hassle free.

When the sun graces us with its appearance again 9 months later, all you have to do is pick up your phone, give Closetbox a call, and just the belongings you request will be delivered back to your house.


Get Your Free Quote